EAST MEETS WEST

Saturday, March 29, 2008

Ryan's Visit

Ryan and I are separated in age by four years. In case you didn't know (or couldn't guess), I'm the older child. Ryan's good friend Jason (also an "oldest child") constantly mocks Ryan for coming in second. He even sent us both an article about a study showing the academic superiority of first-borns and constantly challenges Ryan with big words like "fireplace" and "sunshine."

Four years may not seem like much now, but they were a big deal growing up. We've only lived together for fourteen years, and she didn't even talk for part of it. For the other part, she was still gullible enough to fall for whatever I wanted her to believe. At one point, she thought I had magical powers and could shrink or grow at will or locate lost objects with only my mind. We played games like Princess and Slave (you can imagine how that went) or Restaurant, and I would try to order items that weren't (or never could be) on her menu ("Hmmmm...I don't think I am interested in the peanut butter and jelly or the cup of juice. Do you have any roasted duck?").


It wasn't exactly an equal relationship.

These four years were an enormous gap when we were children. Ever since, however, they have been shrinking. I remember the first time I was shocked to discover that Ryan was a real PERSON, with her own thoughts and personality. It must have been after she went to college. (Who is this?! ) We've been rediscovering each other ever since. The best part is that I love the person my sister has become.


It has been really comfortable and very exciting to have Ryan in town - the best of family AND friends. I worked only half days most of the week and took Monday off so we could hang out. I took her everywhere, all around San Diego, from Old Town and the Gaslamp to Del Mar and Torrey Pines. We enjoyed the South Park Walkabout in our neighborhood, the Wild Animal Park, and tapas in La Jolla. We topped it all off with a day at the spa in Glen Ivy....aahhhhhhhhhhhhh. We're already planning my trip to New York! All of this fun, and I didn't even have to con her into doing by bidding....imagine that!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Loving all the new pictures, AND the haircut! Left another comment there! Don and I went to Wild Animal Park in 1993 when we were there. Loved it! We went to La Jolla also but didn't have tapas. Would love to have some now!
Love Ya.

Unknown said...

had a wonderful time in san diego!! isabel and geoff were great hosts. was so relaxing and fun to be there!!! thanks so much for everything!

love, ryan

Unknown said...

Oscar is jealous of Ryan. Please tell Ryan to disregard any mail from him, a suspicious order of anthrax was made to my VISA and I don't trust a scorn lover.

Super Masio Brothers! said...

J.E.A.L.O.U.S.

Love the pics.